Monday, August 3, 2009

Musings from Natural Bridge Pt. 1

Normally I'm not thrilled about 7:00 a.m. Friends are frequently accusing me of being a "morning person" because I am at the local branch of the YMCA by 7:30 most days. But they don't understand that I am there early because I won't be there later. I'm not there early because I like mornings. I don't. I'm not bubbly at 7:30 a.m. I'm not bubbly period. But bubbly is without a doubt not the adjective I would use for myself at 7:30 a.m.

Today I woke up at 7:00 a.m. but I'm very much okay with that. My family is on vacation at Natural Bridge State Park in Eastern Kentucky. While I type this there is a squirrel walking the rail of my balcony, not six feet away from me. There is a creek burbling somewhere below. All of the trees have made this amazing mountain mist. I hear six or seven different bird songs. There is a cup of coffee (that I just finished) close by. Everything is good.

It is moments like this that help me understand how God could look at the whole of creation and call it "good." I don't always see that in my usual stomping grounds where there is perpetual construction and consistent reduction of green space in favor of new development. But here, conserved for a few days of Sabbath, I see the goodness. And I can even appreciate it at 7:00 a.m.

No comments: