Thursday, February 14, 2008

blogging as a spiritual discipline

I spent the last day and a half at a mandatory retreat (which tells you how truly retreatish it was) for probationary members of my church's annual conference. As much as I really wasn't wanting to go, I was pleasantly surprised to find that the topic for this year was spiritual formation.

Which means that my favorite topic came up--journaling...

The following is from my journaling exercize at the event --

I cringe every time the spiritual discipline of journaling comes up. I can and will short-term journal (i.e. mission trips, retreats, etc.), but as far as getting a book journal and sitting down and writing goes--well, I just can't/don't/won't do it. I've tried. I've tried again. I've tried trying again, again. But, truthfully, it's just not my thing.

However comma, I do blog. And I blog somewhat regularly (as you readers know) on my God-thoughts and church-thoughts and even on random-thought thoughts.

So maybe I journal without knowing it. Maybe calling it something besideds "journaling" is what allows me to journal.

I may end up being late in getting back, but I want to write down the meditation on Sacrament from this a.m. (in fact, as I was leaving the chapel I thought, "I should write a blog about this.")

Just a description; not an analysis:

The Sacrament in the tabernacle sits on the back wall of the chapel. Behind it is a mosaic of a tree and a fountain all springing from the tabernacle that holds the Blessed Sacrament. The tree and the fountain are one. The Tree of Life ad the Fountain of Living Water/River of Life.

I wonder--did the tabernacle get put there because of the mosaic? Or did the mosaic/does the mosaic represent what the tabernacle attempts to contain but cannot hold in?

Protestants should meditate on the Sacrament more frequently.

No comments: