Wednesday, February 6, 2008

...the old man is snoring

It's pouring down rain right now (and in the back of my mind I'm aware of the fact that my car window may still be stuck in the down position...but I can't get too worried about it because I can't control it)--it's pouring down rain right now and I'm reminded of all the times I walked that long walk from the University Annex to Founder's Hall at Humboldt State University (it's a long, long walk) in the pouring down rain.

People would always run up the hill--it's a long, long run--and still arrive at Founder's Hall soaked to the bone with the added bonus of being very out of breath. I'd normally just walk because there's no sense in being soaked AND out of breath--besides there aren't degrees of soaked, you either are or you aren't.

Anyway, the downpour and the running/walking in the rain sets a great tone for the beginning of my personal walk through Lent. I've tried to come up with what I'm going to do (i.e. give up, take up, etc) for the season--and to be honest I still don't know. I think I'm going to take it one day at a time. Seeking God in the ordinary, everday moments of this year's Lent.

If I take it one day at a time--I'll be more in the moment and more able to accept the hospitality of others; more in the moment and more able to give of myself to those who might be in need; more in the moment, which is exactly where God wants me to be.

Either way, at the end of these forty days, God's grace will still be abundant, I'll still be able to celebrate and live Resurrection, and I'll still be in need of forgiveness, so why plan ahead? Why run through all those disciplines, finishing the course and being all out of breath, and miss the fact that God is right in front of me right now, wanting to take a slow walk in the rain of grace (Reign of Grace)?

Maybe it's best to just be in the now.

No comments: