Saturday, June 7, 2008

Oooh, Big Water!




I spent thirteen years of my life on some kind of coast. I had no idea I'd miss the water as much as I do. When we cross Sandusky Bay I get giddy: "Gonna see some Big Water!" (Big Water is what Kathryn called the Ocean when we lived on the North Coast of California. She didn't like Big Water.) Then when we get to Lakeside I just go calm in my soul. I don't know if it's the spirit of Lakeside that makes me calm of if it's the maritime breezes and sloshing sounds of water on the rocks that sets me calm. I doubt it's the onset of Annual Conference that makes me calm...that would make me sick...or something. It must be the water.


You might think that coming to a gated resort community for the work of an annual conference of a church that supports the work of a social gospel would be a contradiction--and that I would be all over that contradiction--but Lakeside speaks Sabbath to me, and it speaks Sabbath to my family. (Again, not the work of Annual Conference, but the water, and the breezes, and the fact that I can let my kids be kids and not worry about them, all of that is what speaks Sabbath.)

It's good to be home.

No comments: