Friday, December 28, 2007

meanderings

In the midst of the craziness and chaos you still found a way in.
Right when I least expected it, you snuck in and squeezed my heart.
I half expected it would happen by candlelight,
(but I should know by now to expect the unexpected)

and my voice hitched
and my heart swelled
and you were there
to hold me up.


Funny how it happens like that.
Guess Mom and Dad were right:
"Don't worry," they said, "You'll know."
(Love and Baptism)
And I guess I should look both ways before crossing the street, too.
Because I was looking down the road to "Silent Night" and prepared for the beautiful pain of that moment,
but somehow you snuck in on the word "glory."


I thought I was going to be too busy to see you this year--
thought you might have missed me since we got the new house
(and, no Santa, I don't mean you...)
But Refugee of the refugees you sought me out
and slowed down my pace just enough
to help me see the homeless child
The Pilgrim of pilgrims
and once again
it broke
and the springs of living water flow.

No comments: